Root Division is a visual arts non-profit that connects creativity and community through a dynamic ecosystem of arts education, exhibitions, and studios.
Root Division's mission is to empower artists, promote community service, inspire youth, and enrich the Bay Area through engagement in the visual arts.
Root Division’s vision is to be a model of creative excellence, sustainability, and collaboration as it empowers emerging artists to amplify art’s positive impact on society.
Three MFA graduates founded Root Division in 2002 as a way to constructively address the challenges facing emerging artists and to remedy the lack of arts education in schools.
In 2004 we opened Root Division’s first home, located on 17th Street in San Francisco’s Mission District, where we resided for ten years. Root Division runs four interconnected programs – Studios, Youth Education, Adult Education, and Exhibitions & Events – which link diverse audiences and interests in mutually beneficial relationships. Our programs not only nurture creativity, but also foster volunteerism and community engagement that is vital to the social, economic, and cultural health of the Bay Area.
Throughout its history, Root Division has forged strong connections with the community to provide:
• Subsidized studio space for more than 130 emerging artists
• More than 4,000 hours of free art classes for neighborhood youth
• Training for 240 artist-teachers
• Onsite adult art classes for 1,500 students
• Exhibitions of work by more than 1,700 artists
• A gathering place for more than 32,000 visitors to meet artists and see their work
• Partnerships with two-dozen public schools and community centers, and more than 150 local businesses
Root Division is a 501-c-3 non-profit and receives support from foundations, sponsors, and individuals. Check our Contributors page for a complete list. Your generosity makes each facet of Root Division's programming possible. Please consider giving to Root Division this year!
Review our most recently completed financial report here.
Have questions, comments, or ideas for us? Contact us!